Dr. Erin Mendoza’s role in your healthcare team is to assist you in identifying psychological factors that could be impacting your physical well-being. Specifically, Dr. Mendoza will discuss social, emotional, cognitive, and behavioral aspects of your functioning that could be moving you further away from your wellness goals. With guidance and focused interventions, Dr. Mendoza will work with you to overcome psychological barriers to health and wellness. Goals you might work towards with Dr. Mendoza could include:
- coping with chronic or acute physical pain
- increasing health-promoting behaviors, such as exercise, restful sleep, or choosing healthy foods
- decreasing behaviors that could be negatively affecting your health, such as forgetting to take medication, alcohol misuse, overeating, or neglecting self-care needs
- adjusting to medical diagnoses and/or recovering from illness or injury
- developing coping strategies to manage distressing physical symptoms
- learning to use effective stress reduction strategies
It is important to understand that Dr. Mendoza does not conduct individual psychotherapy for treatment of diagnosed mental disorders at the office. The focus of the treatment with Dr. Mendoza will be on psychological components of your medical diagnoses. If you are in need of psychotherapy for a mental disorder (such as depression or anxiety), Dr. Mendoza will assist you in finding appropriate community resources to meet those needs.